Pop Goes Sydenham project to stimulate retail growth and a night-time economy and to build on the strong arts identity in the area launched last month with the opening of the Pop Up Shop, SEE Gunpowder Cherry Pie & Flash Trash at 167 Sydenham Road.
We have three more Pop Up Shops planned to open during the summer including 5 Kent House Road which will open in the next few weeks as a cafe.
The shop hasn’t been open for several decades so is undergoing quite a transformation although we will of course be retaining its charm. The very talented Eddie Saul – set designer and builder, prop builder, artist, creative project manager and mid-century modern furniture seller – who is carrying out the renovation work on our shops (pictured in the corner of the right-hand photo directly above) found the Lyon’s Tea sign in the basement!
Meanwhile we have been collaborating with Belinda Lester, local resident and food event broker, to bring a number of supper clubs to Sydenham’s cafes in response to feedback from the local community as to a lack of a night-time economy.
Our first supper clubs with Alan Stewart, usually found serving up fabulous fare at The Gowlett in Peckham, were sold out events and went down a storm.
All other supper clubs planned as part of the project are also sold out, but word is that Belinda may well be looking to do some regular supper clubs in and around the area.
Pop Goes Sydenham Community Party, 13 June at The Dolphin
The Dolphin are kindly hosting the Pop Goes Sydenham Community Party on 13 June from 5pm (food from 6pm).
On Thurs 13 JuneThe Dolphin will be hosting the Pop Goes Sydenham Community Party from 5pm. Local street food traders will be cooking up delicious food for sale on the evening:
- Fleischmob – Austrian recipes, using the only the finest British ingredients
- Boquifresco – seriously fresh and tasty Mexican street food
- Mean Green Foods – hand-crafted vegetarian delights
- Mr Muffin – amazing sweet and savoury options, baked especially for us using locally sourced ingredients
Musical acts organised by the Sydenham Arts Festival team include:
- Harrison Bodnar – Orpington, Loop pedalist/guitar, folk pop – a featured artist at the Sydenham Unsigned SAF event – July 3
- Alexander Hiscox – Forest Hill, original tunes..smooth bluesy folk feel – a featured artist at the Sydenham Unsigned SAF event – July 3
- DJ Chris Arch – reggae funk fusion music – owner of the Sugahill Café in Sydenham
We also have plans for a Street Art project, Pop Up Theatre and Club Nights. More information can be found here.