After a several-month run at 161 Kirkdale, Pen & Gravy vs Modernish are leaving at the end of this month. Says Dan of Modernish: “It has been such an instructive period – we learned things about retail in general and our business in particular that we couldn’t have learned any other way. We know that we need to make changes, and we are going to spend a while doing that – and then we’ll be back!”
We are now looking for a new tenant who can:
- Provide an application by Wednesday 10 April
- Attend an interview 12 April
- Open their shop w/c 22 April (or possibly earlier – to be negotiated).
Successful applications will need to meet the following criteria:
- Be available to run the shop for a minimum of four weeks.
- Be largely self-sufficient, which includes being able to manage any payments required and have staff to man the space. There may be an opportunity to be part of a collaborative group. Please enquire at email@example.com for details.
- Organisations can be commercial, arts or community.
- Organisations that have plans to hold community engagement activities or can demonstrate that their business will attract footfall will be preferable, as footfall is difficult/low on Kirkdale. The market on Kirkdale is largely a family market, being surrounded by four primary schools, and the shop is due to open during the Easter holidays. Therefore a shop that can demonstrate an appeal to this market would be ideal. A demographic analysis of the area is available for download.
- There will be a charge of £300 per shop plus utilities and the successful candidates will need to have Public Liability Insurance along with any other insurance or licenses required to run their business.